5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 737 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 603339 times
Mumbai’s very own burger. The vada is made of a spicy potato filling deep fried in a gram flour batter. Along with a hot and spicy garlic chutney, it is served inside a small "Laddi Pav". I have fond memories of sharing a vada pav with my son while travelling on a business trip to Vapi by train. Although vada pav is a Maharashtrian dish, I was surprised to find it popular even in Gujarat. Another travelling ritual on my frequent drives to Pune is to stop at a small café on the highway to grab a quick vada pav and a steaming hot cup of masala tea that chases away all my travel fatigue
- Pound the green chillies, ginger and garlic using a mortar and pestle.
- Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When they crackle, add the asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the pounded mixture and sauté again for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes, turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Remove from the fire and cool.
- Divide into 8 equal portions. Shape into rounds.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and make a batter using approximately 1/3 cup of water.
- Dip each round of the vada filling into the batter and allow it to coat the mixture well .
- Deep fry in hot oil, till golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Slice each pav into half and spread some dry garlic chutney inside.
- Place one vada in each pav and serve immediately.
- Laddi pavs are small square shaped white bread rolls which are available at local bakeries.
- You can also use bread roll or slices if the pav is not available.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.