Sarson ka Saag Video by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 4464 times
This famous recipe from north India is made with a combination of greens, namely spinach and mustard leaves. Mustard leaves have a unique flavour that is mildly bitter but quite pleasing to the palate. In order to decrease the bitterness, the mustard leaves are first cooked in boiling water with the spinach before being blended and sautéed with flavourful ingredients like tomatoes and onions. A dash of spice powders add more zing to this delicious subzi, making it a treat to the taste buds. Serve this delicious Sarson ka Saag with Makai ki Roti, to make a satiating north Indian meal.
Recipe Description for Sarson ka Saag, Punjabi Sarson Ka Saag Recipe
- Boil enough water in a deep non-stick pan, add the mustard leaves, spinach and green chillies, mix well and cook on a high flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Strain using a strainer and drain well.
- Refresh it twice in enough cold water immediately and drain well again. Keep aside for 2 to 3 minutes to cool slightly.
- Blend in a mixer to a coarse mixture using ½ cup of water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the garlic, ginger and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and again sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the mustard leaves-spinach mixture, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with makai ki roti.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.