Puffed cereal refers to cereals like wheat, millet , corn or rice which are made by exploding cooked cereal from a pressure chamber, thus expanding the grain to several times its original size. The principle of the puffing process is heating the cereal, and sometimes other vegetable products, in a pressure chamber in presence of steam. When the containment vessel's seal is suddenly broken, the entrained steam then flashes and bloats the endosperm of the kernel, increasing its volume to many times its original size. Puffed cereal includes ancient puffed grains like popcorn as well as puffed rice. Puffed cereal is used in snack foods and breakfast cereals, and is also a popular street food in some parts of the world. Puffed cereal like puffed rice is an ingredient of bhel puri, a popular Indian chaat item. It is also used in temples and gurdwaras as prasad.
Rice Krispies -They are an example of a puffed grain cereal, and the three puffed grains that you commonly see in the cereal aisle are rice, wheat and corn. Rice Krispies are oven-popped, which gives them the right texture to "snap! crackle! pop!" when milk is added.
How to select
Select puffed cereals which are whole and crispy. they are available in bulk bins or pre packaged packets. Check the expiry date and if possible feel the crunchiness by pressing a grain between your fingers.
· Puffed rice or other grains are occasionally found as street food in China, Korea, and Japan.
· Puffed grains are popular as breakfast cereals and in the form of "rice cakes". They can be sweetened with milk or prepared into a savory dish with salt and vegetables.
· Snacks and food items that can be made from puffed cereals are bhelpuri(rice),bamba9corn), cheese puffs(corn). Golden Crisp(wheat), puffed rice,toffee crisps(wheat) and wotsits(corn)
· Certain Indian recipes with puffed ereals are puffed rice upma, puffed wheat porridge.
How to store
Store the puffed grains in an airtight container.
· Puffed cereals are a good source of protein and complex carbohydrates. It is, however, not a complete protein; it lacks the essential amino acid lysine. It's fine as a snack or a single meal, as long as you are eating other proteins (such as beans, spinach, meat, cheese or eggs) during the day.
· Puffed cereal is about 10 times the volume of regular grain, therefore a cup of plain puffed cereal would have about 20-25 calories.
· Puffed cereals are low in calories and fat content and hence ideal for weight watchers.