· Thickened and sweetened pomegranate juice used in cocktail mixing, this syrup is called grenadine syrup. To make grenadine syrup at home, cook sugar and pomegranate juice til it comes to a boil. Cool and store in bottles. Use as required.
· Grenadine is used in traditional recipes of Iran - pomegranate juice and ground walnuts, usually spooned over duck or other poultry and rice, and in ash-e anar (pomegranate soup).
· A sauce from pomegranate juice (narsharab) is usually served with fish or tika kabab.
· Pomegranate sauce made from juice is used as a salad dressing, to marinate meat.
· It is used in a production of wines in Isreal.
· Pomegranate juice is also used in making of liquor and added in yogurts and jams.
How to store pomegranate juice, anar ka ras, anar ka juice
Pomogranate juice should be kept in glass jars tightly sealed in refrigerator. It can keep fresh for 3-4 days.
Health benefits of pomegranate juice, anar ka ras, anar ka juice
1. Pomegranate juice
contains polyphenols, tannins and anthocyanins
- these are beneficial anti -oxidants -higher than most other fruit juices
, red wine and green tea.
2. Pomegranate juice is high in vitamin C
, a good source of fibre
and low in calories.
3. Pomegranates contain nitrates which are shown to improve exercise performance. A study conducted on athletes stated that pomegranates if taken 30 minutes before exercise, significantly enhances the blood flow to the exercising muscles.