Last Updated : Oct 04,2017
Viewed 65515 times
Liquid glucose is a combination of various saccharides or simple carbohydrates extracted with strict quality control parameters and then subjected to a refining and vacuum evaporation process. It comprises glucose, maltose, maltodextrin and oligosaccharides, which might be in mono, di, tri, penta or higher saccharide form. The solution can be transparent to viscous aqueous and light yellow to colourless.
It is very versatile and can be used in a wide range of cooking applications. Liquid glucose improves the form, gives body and texture to the finished products. It is especially used for hard candies. It also imparts resistance to discolouration, moisture formation and crystallisation, thus producing products which have exceptional clarity, stability and brilliance.
Liquid glucose should not be confused with corn syrup. Corn syrup is specially prepared syrup obtained by the conversion of acid enzyme and contains a more complex sugar called dextrin.
How to Select
• Liquid glucose is available only in select food malls and supermarkets.
• You can also buy it online directly from manufacturers like the Goodrich World, Ridhi Sidhi products, Dr. Oetkar's Liquid Glucose, etc.
• Check the date of packaging and buy the latest one.
• It is available in re-sealable plastic jars of 140 gram packing or even in glass jars with glass lids.
• It is used as a major ingredient in hard-boiled candies as it prevents crystallization and imparts cohesiveness.
• Liquid glucose is used in conjunction with sugar for manufacturing flavoured candies and chocolates.
• It is used in the preparation of glucose biscuits.
• It helps keep food products soft and fresh and acts as a preservative. Hence, it is widely uses in Jams, jellies, chewing gums and canned fruits.
• Syrups used for making pies in bakeries also contain liquid glucose.
• It is incorporated in ice creams as it enhances flavour and decreases the freezing point.
• It is used as a flavouring and preservative in mouth fresheners
• It is also used in the tobacco industry as it increases the keeping quality of tobacco.
How to Store
• Liquid glucose should be stored in tightly-closed containers in a cool, dry place.
• It should be protected against humidity and sunshine.
• So the dark area in your refrigerator would be ideal for storing it.
• Sulphur dioxide free liquid glucose is used in the preparation of cough syrups and vitamin-based tonics.
• It is a principal ingredient for cough lozenges and acts as granulating agent for tablet coating.
• Liquid glucose is a soothing agent, which coats the surface of the throat, protecting it from irritation. This soothes sore and irritated throat membranes, which can be the cause of tickly coughs.
• Due to the presence of carbohydrate derivatives, it helps in stabilising blood sugar levels.
• It is an immune booster and supports circulation.
• It also enhances pancreatic function.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.