Last Updated : Jan 05,2021
Viewed 5401 times
What is gulab jamun?
Gulab Jamun is an authentic Indian sweet made using special hariyali mava(gulab jamun mava, chikna mava)/milk powder, plain flour and sugar. All the ingredients are mixed well and kneaded into a dough, shaped into balls or oblong shape, deep-fried till golden brown or dark brown and soaked in a sugar syrup.
The size and shape of the Gulab Jamun may vary and the taste can be enhanced with the addition of aromatic, mildly flavored ingredients like saffron, cardamom. They taste amazing when served warm and is a popular dish across restaurant menus. It is also made on special occasions like festivals , weddings, auspicious occasions. They can be bought fresh from local sweet shops or canned forms or made at home.
Small gulab jamun
How to select gulab jamun
• While buying them from local sweet shops, ensure they are freshly made and stored in proper condition to avoid contamination. Also, avoid purchasing if it smells sour.
• While buying canned Gulab Jamun, ensure the cans are not rusted, dented or bulging. There should not be any foul odour and the gulab jamun should ideally be same sized.
Culinary Uses of gulab jamun
1. These soft, melt-in-the-mouth balls drenched in sugar syrup can make any mouth water. The combination of gulab jamun and rabdi is delicious!
• 2.It can be further transformed into delectable desserts like Gulab Jamun kulfi, fusion cheesecake, cakes, pudding etc.
How to store gulab jamun
• In case of canned Gulab Jamun
, transfer the contents of the can into a glass or plastic container along with the syrup and store in a refrigerator. They should be consumed within 2-3 days.
• Store bought fresh or homemade Gulab Jamuns can be stored in a refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.