How many calories does one Aloo Kurkure have?
One Aloo Kurkure gives 76 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 43 calories, proteins account for 5 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 28 calories. One Aloo Kurkure provides about 4 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Aloo Kurkure recipe. Mint-flavoured potato mash dipped in a typical flour batter, coated with powdered beaten rice, and deep-fried till temptingly crisp. Hear the crunchy poha crackle as you drain these on absorbent paper, and be tempted to take a bite even before you finish frying the remaining balls! indeed, this is a delectable snack that has both a traditional and modern hue, satisfying both young and old. Serve the aloo kurkure balls hot, with sweet and sour sauce or a chutney of your choice.
Is Aloo Kurkure healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Mint Leaves (Pudina) : Mint (pudina) being an anti-inflammatory reduces the inflammation in the stomach and shows a cleansing effect. Sipping on a healthy drink like fresh mint and lemon tea is the best option to overcome nausea for mums-to-be. Moreover it's vitamin A (10% of RDA) and vitamin C (20.25%) serve as an additional boost to bring relief from cough, sore throat and also cold. Mint (pudina) is a leafy vegetable which is sure to create nourishing dishes without piling on calories, carbs or fat for that instance. What is has to offer instead is FIBER. See here for detailed benefits of mint leaves.
2. Plain flour (maida) : This recipe uses plain flour or maida which is refined carb not suitable for healthy lifestyle. Maida consumption in any food should be totally avoided or just a little bit of usage as any consumption of this will cause a larger spike in blood levels which is not good for diabetics, heart patients. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. Read is maida good for you to understand fully.
3. Poha ( Beaten rice) : Pros for poha. High iron count (2.67 mg in a cup) of poha. Most people prefer eating poha for breakfast. The reason behind it is its high carb count. Poha helps us accomplish nearly 5% of potassium requirement which will control blood pressure and sustain cardiac health and further aids in controlling blood cholesterol too. Cons. Due to high carb content it is not good source of diabetic food. With calories to add along with carbs and not much fiber, poha should logically be constrained by those who intend to lose weight. High protein, less carbs and more fiber should be the target of weight watchers. Read is poha healthy?
What's the problem?
1. Potatoes (Aloo) : Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. Potatoes are recommended for malnourished children and people with low weight. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.
2. Deep fried foods : This recipe is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. Processed food, Deep Fried Foods also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process. Most diseases from heart, to cardio vascular, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimer, cancer and obesity result when the cells get inflamed and don't then function correctly. Inflammation in the arteries can cause heart attacks. So your diet should contain foods that fight inflammation in the body. That's how your body gets healthier by eating the right stuff. So you have given the cells in your body the right food to stay healthy and that is so important in staying disease free for the rest of your life.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Aloo Kurkure?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. This recipe is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Processed food, Deep Fried Foods also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process. Most diseases from heart, to cardio vascular, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimer, cancer and obesity result when the cells get inflamed and don't then function correctly. Inflammation in the arteries can cause heart attacks. So your diet should contain foods that fight inflammation in the body. That's how your body gets healthier by eating the right stuff.
Here are some Healthy Indian snack options.
You can have Baked Samosa with mixed sprouts, Matarsutir Kachori, Oats Moong Dal Tikki, Baked methi muthia recipe, Zunka recipe, moong dal dhokla recipe, bajra carrot onion uttapam recipe , baked palak jowar murukku, mini jowar pancakes or buckwheat pancake as one healthy recipe option.
Matarsutir Kochuri, Healthy Bengali Snack
Can healthy individuals have Aloo Kurkure?
No. SAy no to deep fried food.
How to burn 76 calories that come from Aloo Kurkure?
Walking (6 kmph) = 23 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 8 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 10 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 13 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.