How many calories does one serving of Doodhi Halwa have?
One serving of Doodhi Halwa gives 317 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 164 calories, proteins account for 16 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 134 calories. One serving of Doodhi Halwa provides about 16 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Doodhi Halwa recipe. Doodhi Halwa tops the chart of all-time favourite Indian mithai. Whether you have it cold, right out of the fridge, or warm it up and have it plain or with a topping of ice-cream, Doodhi Halwa is sure to charm you with its rich texture and enticing flavour.Here, we show you how to make Doodhi Halwa effortlessly using the pressure cooker. You no longer need to keep stirring and cooking the halwa for a long time. Just sauté the grated bottle gourd and mawa, pressure-cook it, and cook again for a few minutes, and voila, your delicious, cardamom-laced halwa is ready to enjoy with a garnish of nuts.
Is Doodhi Halwa healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Doodhi (bottle gourd, lauki) : With extremely low levels of sodium, this doodhi is highly suitable for those with high BP. It helps reduce blood cholesterol levels and regulate blood pressure and ensures a proper blood flow to heart and they're onwards to all parts of the body. It helps prevent acidity and good for diabetics. See the 10 benefits of bottlegourd article for complete information.
2. Ghee : Other than calories and fats, the only nutrients that ghee is rich in are the vitamins – all of which are fat-soluble. All the 3 vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin K) are antioxidants which have a role in removing free radicals from the body and protecting our cell as well as help in maintaining skin health and glow. Ghee is an excellent, high-quality selection medium of cooking because of its high smoke point. As compared to most oils and butter, ghee can handle a smoke point of 230°C, 450°F, thus its less prone to oxidant and destruction of nutrients. Yes, ghee does contain cholesterol, but some amount of cholesterol is needed by the body. Cholesterol has some functions to play too. It is necessary for hormone production, brain function, cell health and lubricating the joints. It is, in reality, a high quality fat for the body and brain. Ghee is loaded with fats but that’s medium chain fatty acids (MCT) which aid in weight loss. Ghee is healthy for daibetics in small amounts and you need to check your fat intake at the same time. Learn to easily make your ghee at home which is free of preservatives. See benefits of ghee.
3. Milk and Low Fat Milk : 1 cup of milk provides 70% of the Recommended Daily Allowance of Calcium. Milk promotes strong bones. The Calcium in Milk helps to protect your teeth against gum disease and keeps your jaw bone strong and healthy. Milk is low in carbs and therefore does not raise blood glucose levels. However diabetics must consider including low fat milk as advised by their dietitian only so as to avoid any fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Protein is another key nutrient which milk is rich in - 8.6 g from a cup. So all those looking to build protein stores can add milk and its products like curd and paneer to their diet. One cup of Milk gives 10 grams of carbs. Low fat milk has lower fat and the same benefits of milk.
4. Almonds (badam) : Almonds are rich in B complex vitamins such as Vitamin B1, Thiamine, Vitamin B3, Niacin and Folate which plays an important role in the brain development. Almonds balances your cholesterol levels. almonds have a very low glycemic index and good for diabetics. See all 13 super health benefits of almonds.
What's the problem?
1. Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar. Refinded carbohydrates like maida, sugar, bread, pasta, noodles and sugar on consumption get stored as unhealthy fat in the body.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Doodhi Halwa?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Sugar used in the recipe (3/4 cup) is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet.
What is a healthier Indian dessert option ?
We suggest you try low fat gajjar halwa recipe which uses dates as a sweetener and low fat milk which works well for diabetics. Also Dry fruits stuffed dates is healthy. Make oats and mixed nuts ladoo recipe which is sweetened by jaggery, oats and dates kheer and anjeer and mixed nuts barfi (not for diabetics).
Can healthy individuals have Doodhi Halwa?
Doodhi Halwa is high in
1. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 317 calories that come from Doodhi Halwa?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hr 35 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 32 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 42 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 54 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.