Kabuli Chana Biryani
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 271 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 67057 times
The Kabuli Chana Biryani is a unique blend of rice and pulses. Saffron-tinged rice is layered with a tongue-tickling kabuli chana gravy, covered with foil, and baked for a while till the flavours meld to make an awesome one-dish meal.
This dish is so delicious that you just need to serve it with a cup of low-fat curd raita to make a tasty, healthy and satisfying meal. We have used brown rice in this recipe to boost the fibre content. You can go higher up the fibre path by tossing in some more chopped and boiled veggies. This will help to bring down cholesterol levels.
We would also advice you to maintain a small portion size, because it is always better to be satisfied with small portions of your favourite foods rather than having to totally avoid them.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the ginger and garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and 1 tbsp of water and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and green chillies, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked kabuli chana and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the curds and mix gently. Keep aside.
- Combine the saffron strands and warm milk in a bowl and mix well.
- Combine the brown rice, coriander, little salt and saffron-milk mixture in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Put half the rice mixture in a baking dish and spread it evenly.
- Put the kabuli chana gravy evenly over it and spread it evenly.
- Finally put the remaining rice mixture and spread it evenly.
- Cover with an aluminium foil and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 159 kcal|
|Protein|| 4.7 gm|
|Carbohydrate|| 26.2 gm|
|Fat|| 3.9 gm|
|Fibre|| 5.2 gm|
|Calcium|| 67.7 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.