Whole Rice Khichu Video by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 2903 times
Khichu is a traditional savoury dish made with rice flour, perked up with whole spices like jeera and spice powders like sambhar powder. It is enjoyed hot, when its texture is gooey and soft. Here, we recreate the same recipe with whole rice. Whole Rice Khichu has the same comforting texture, and is actually much more flavourful and aromatic, with a tempering of aromatic seeds, green chillies and other ingredients, and finally topped off with a spoonful of melted ghee, which causes a fresh aroma to burst out of the dish, luring everybody to it!
Recipe Description for Whole Rice Khichu
- Wash and soak the rice in a deep bowl with 2 cups of water for 30 minutes, cover it with a lid and keep aside.
- Break the soaked rice with your fingers till it turns into a coarse mixture. Do not drain the water. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, sesame seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the coarse rice mixture along with the water and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the green chillies, coriander and 1 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving, divide the khichu into 4 equal portions.
- Take a small greased bowl, put one portion of the khichu into it, press it lightly and invert onto a serving plate.
- Top it with 1 tsp melted ghee, ½ tsp methi sambhar and ¼ tsp lemon juice.
- Serve hot.
See step by step images of Whole Rice Khichu Recipe
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.