Tomato Ketchup Video by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 4345 times
Creamy, spicy and tangy, this Tomato Ketchup is as perfect as the ones you get in the market, or even better because of the fresh flavour that is unique to homemade products. Tomatoes are pressure cooked with a spice bag, blended, strained and then cooked till a saucy consistency is achieved. This simple but ideal procedure results in a flavourful and thick sauce, which will add value to any dish it is served with or used in. The flavour of the spices seeps well through the potli and is quite noticeable in the ketchup. Note that no water is used in the preparation – this helps cook the sauce faster and also to increase its shelf life. If you do not wish to add the preservative (sodium benzoate), you must keep the sauce in the fridge and use it within a month. If preservative is added, you can store it in the fridge for a longer time.
Recipe Description for Tomato Ketchup, Tomato Sauce, Homemade Tomato Ketchup
- Combine all the ingredients in a muslin cloth, tie a knot and keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes and the prepared potli in the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles, without adding water.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid, remove the potli from the tomato mixture and discard it.
- Cool the tomato mixture slightly and blend it in a mixer till smooth.
- Strain the mixture using a strainer.
- Transfer the tomato mixture into a deep non-stick pan, add the sugar, chilli powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 15 to 17 minutes or till it coats the back of the spoon, while stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- Once cooled, add the sodium benzoate, mix well and store it in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
See step by step images of Tomato Ketchup, Tomato Sauce, Homemade Tomato Ketchup Recipe
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.