Shahi Dal Video by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 7214 times
The richness of any shahi dish usually comes from the abundance of cream. Here, I have substituted cream with low-fat milk mixed with cornflour, which tastes equally creamy and delicious. Urad dal gives a healthy fillip to this dish, as it is high in folic acid and zinc. Folic acid aids in brain development as well as boosting haemoglobin levels whereas zinc is required for life long mental strength
Recipe Description for Shahi Dal ( Zero Oil )
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in water for 3 to 4 hours. Drain.
- Combine together the urad dal, ginger, green chillies, salt and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Remove the lid, whisk the dal well and keep aside.
- Heat a deep non-stick pan on a medium flame and when hot, add the cumin seeds and dry roast for 30 seconds.
- Lower the flame, add the onions and dry roast till the onions for 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle a little water if they start burning.
- Add the cooked urad dal, garam masala and ¾ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cornflour-milk mixture and a little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
See step by step images of Shahi Dal ( Zero Oil ) Recipe
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.