Modak Video by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 26507 times
It’s Ganesh Chaturthi! Time to make umpteen varieties of modak, Ganesha’s favourite. Here is the Modak recipe, of rice flour shells filled with a succulent mixture of jaggery and coconut. While this mouth-watering delicacy is an inseparable part of Ganesh Chaturthi celebrations, you can try and make it more often as it is a tasty treat for the whole family, especially the young ones.
Recipe Description for Modak, Steamed Modak, Ukadiche Modak for Ganesh Chaturthi
- Boil 1¾ cups of water in a deep non-stick pan.
- Place the rice flour in a deep bowl and add the boiled water gradually. Mix well using a spoon in the beginning and then knead into a soft and smooth dough.
- Cover with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat a deep non-stick pan, add the jaggery and cook on a slow flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till the jaggery melts, while stirring continuously.
- Add the coconut, poppy seeds and cardamom powder, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till all the moisture evaporates and the mixture thickens. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Divide the filling into 21 equal portions and keep aside.
- Knead the dough once again using ½ tsp of ghee and keep aside.
- Grease a modak mould using very little ghee and close it.
- Take a portion of the dough, press it into the cavity of the modak mould till it is evenly lined on all the sides.
- Fill the dough cavity with a portion of the filling.
- Take a smaller portion of the dough and spread it evenly at the base of the modak mould so as to seal the filling.
- Demould the modak from the modak mould.
- Repeat steps 2 to 7 to make the remaining 20 modaks.
- Place a steamer plate in a steamer and place a banana leaf on it.
- Moisten all the modaks with little water using your finger tips.
- Place 10 modaks on the banana leaf and steam on a medium flame for 10 minutes.
- Repeat step 10 to make 11 more modaks in 1 more batch.
- Serve warm
- These modaks stay fresh for a day at room temperature and for 2 days if refrigerated.
- Modak moulds are easily available in local “steel utensils and appliances” shops.
- Two types of moulds are available i. e. Plastic and stainless steel. Plastic moulds range between rs. 10 to rs. 30. Stainless steel moulds range between rs. 40 to rs. 70.
- Available in following Mumbai shops: contact nos. : Murugan steel: 22-28193014 , 22-26184159, 22-25602993, New Andheri Glassware Mart: +(91)-22-28224203, Mehul Steel: 22-25605233
See step by step images of Modak, Steamed Modak, Ukadiche Modak for Ganesh Chaturthi Recipe
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.