Khandvi Video by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 6510 times
If somebody asks you to make Khandvi, they are probably testing your cooking skills! This delectable Gujarati snack, made of a besan and curd batter, is one of the tastiest foods you can sink your teeth into. Appearing like tightly-rolled up sheets, neatly cut and tempered attractively, the visual appeal is so strong you just cannot pass the plate by without picking one. However, this delicacy also needs a bit of practice to master. This recipe will help you all the way through, making sure you get it right.
Recipe Description for Khandvi ( Besan Gujarati Khandvi)
- Grease 3 thalis (10” diameter each) lightly with oil on both the sides and keep aside.
- Combine the curds and 1½ cups of water in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the besan, curds-water mixture, asafoetida, lemon juice, turmeric powder, ginger-green chilli paste and salt in a deep non-stick pan and mix well using a whisk till no lumps remain to make a smooth mixture.
- Switch on the flame and cook on a slow flame for 9 minutes, while stirring continuously or till it thickens.
- Spread a spoonful of the batter on a greased thali, wait for a few seconds and try to roll it up. If it doesn’t roll then cook for 1 more minute and then check once more if it gets rolled perfectly.
- While it is still hot, pour little portions of the mixture on the insides of 3 greased thalis and spread the mixture in a circular motion into a thin layer using a vati.
- Turn all the 3 thalis and spread the remaining mixture on their back sides as in step 6.
- Allow them to cool for 5 to 10 minutes and roll them up tightly.
- Cut each roll into 6 equal pieces and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds, asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the khandvis.
- Garnish with coconut and coriander and serve.
See step by step images of Khandvi ( Besan Gujarati Khandvi) Recipe
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.