Also known as
The pappadams refer to a wafer-thin East Indian bread made with lentil flour. This tortilla like bread can be unseasoned (as preferred in southern India) or variously flavored with red or black pepper, garlic or other seasonings, as in northern India. Pappadams are available in Indian markets in various sizes and flavors.. Most Indian restaurants offer papadums with their meals, and this bread is also extremely easy to make at home. In many regions, papadum bread is made with a legume flour, like lentil chickpea, or black bean flour. In some regions, rice flour is used, and it is also possible to use wheat or other grains for the flour, although some of the characteristic flavor may be lost. The simple dough is made with flour, salt, oil, and enough water to bring the dough together into a smooth mass. Many cooks also add seasonings like various Indian spices to their papadum bread to make it more interesting. It can be deep fried, to make a crispy cracker, or it may be grilled, to create a soft wrap almost like a tortilla. It is also possible to pan fry or microwave papadum dough for different textures.
How to select
Papadum's are round crisp flour paste cakes readily available in the market in different sizes and flavours.In addition to being sold and eaten fresh, papadum bread is also sold in packaged form, in which case it can be eaten cold or reheated .Choose the one which meets your individual taste preference. Check the best before date before buying.
· They are traditionally fried in oil and served with steamed rice and lentils. Deep-fried pappadams puff up to almost double their original size. Grilling them over an open flame will give them a smoky flavor
· Papadum bread is a type of Indian cracker bread which can be eaten on its own, like a snack, or served with meals of Indian food like khichdi or kadhi.
· Papadams can be eaten with various toppings such as chopped onions, chutney or other dips and condiments.
· Smaller ones can be eaten like a snack chip and the larger ones can be used to make wraps. In most curry houses in the United Kingdom and Australia, they are served as a starter alongside various dips and usually mango chutney.
· In certain parts of India, raw pappodoms/ papadums (dried but unroasted) are used in curries and vegetable preparations.
How to store
Store papadum in an airtight container.
· Pappadams are made up of lentls or rice and hence may be a good source of energy.
· Being rich in sodium content, papadums should be eaten in moderation