Last Updated : Jan 06,2018
Viewed 2282 times
Milk chocolate is a mixture of cocoa solids, fat, sugar and milk. Milk is added in the form of liquid milk, milk powder or condensed milk. When condensed milk is used, it gives a rich milky taste and sweetness.
These chocolates are then made into slabs of required sizes – it can be consumed as such or used for making desserts and other chocolates. The colour of milk chocolate is light brown and not as dark as dark chocolate. It contains more milk and dairy fat, which gives it a creamy texture. It is also less bitter.
Chopped milk chocolate
Cut the chocolate vertically with a sharp knife into ½-inch thickness and then cut horizontally to form chunks of ½ x ½. Chopped milk chocolate is used to make home-made chocolates and desserts, and to give cakes a chocolaty flavour and a fudgy texture.
Grated milk chocolate
Take a grater and slide the chocolate from top to bottom to get thin strings of chocolate. It is used for garnishing and decoration.
Melted milk chocolate
Take a double boiler and put chunks of milk chocolate in the bowl. Keep stirring continuously with the help of spatula for a few minutes till it melts. Alternatively, you can put chunks of chocolate in a bowl and microwave on high for 20 to 30 seconds. Remove and mix well. If it has still not melted, microwave on high for a few more seconds. Melted milk chocolate is used in cakes, cookies, mousses, garnish, decoration etc.
How to select
• When sourcing your milk chocolate, you should look for brands that contain a high percentage of cocoa solids and real vanilla. It is better to opt for brands that have fewer chemicals and additives.
• You can buy milk chocolate from stores, cafes or milk shops. Select a trusted shop for buying your chocolate.
• Check the percentage of cocoa mentioned on the packet to understand the sweetness of the milk chocolate and whether it matches your recipe requirement.
• Make sure the chocolate is not soft. If it seems to have melted in the packet, use it within a few days.
• When buying always check the expiry date.
• Chocolate can last for a few years from the time it was made, if properly stored.
• Milk chocolate is used for decorating cakes and making chocolate icing.
• It is used to make chocolate fondue, cookies, mousses and other desserts.
• It can be used to garnish and decorate baked goods.
How to store
• Store in an airtight container with the wrapper at room temperature or store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
• Stored in a cool and dry place, it will last for about six months. It will taste okay even after this, but it might not melt and cooperate properly with your recipes after that.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.