Last Updated : Feb 25,2021
Viewed 9606 times
Also known as
Maharashtrian malvani masala powder, malwani masala
What is malvani masala, malwani masala powder, Maharashtrian malvani masala powder?
Malvani Masala, a spice powder from the Malvan region of the Sindhudurg district in Maharashtra, is used mainly in Maharashtrian and Goan cuisine. It is an essential ingredient in the cooking of coastal foods in that region. Reddish in colour, this spicy powder gives a fiery hue and peppy taste to dishes it is added to. Like garam masala, the Malvani Masala too is very flavourful and fragrant. It blends in spices like dry red chillies, peppercorns, star anise, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, fennel and cardamom. The spices are dry-roasted until aromatic, ground to a fine powder, and then mixed with powdered spices like turmeric and asafoetida.
How to select malvani masala, malwani masala powder, Maharashtrian malvani masala powder
• It can be made at home or purchased readymade from grocery stores. It is commonly available.
• Before buying, check the seal of the package and the expiry date. Choose a pack size as per your need.
Culinary Uses of malvani masala, malwani masala powder, Maharashtrian malvani masala powder in Indian Cooking
• Combining the flavours of myriad spices, Malvani Masala is used commonly in coastal cuisine, along the Konkan, Goan and Maharashtrian belt.
• Although used mainly for non-vegetarian recipes, it also works well with certain vegetables dishes like Veg Kolhapuri.
• It can be added to curries and vegetable dishes, which are served
with rotis or rice.
How to store malvani masala, malwani masala powder, Maharashtrian malvani masala powder
• Store Malvani Masala in an airtight container in a cool and dark place.
• Although it stays for a long time, it loses its aroma and flavour over time. So, do not stock too much.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.