Last Updated : Oct 04,2017
Viewed 11482 times
Also Known As
Lime Zest, Lime Skin, Sweet Lime Rind, Sweet Lime Zest.
Lime rind is just the outer yellow skin or the zest of the lime. It is obtained by removing only the color area and not the white flesh just beneath the skin, using a fine zester. It has a nice refreshing aroma due to the presence of lime oil, being volatile while remonving the rind. The bitter white portion is not taken in the rind, hence the taste is sour to tangy.
Grated Lime Rind can also be prepared at home by grating the lime using a grater or a micriplane. Just rub the entire lime over the grater until the white inner portion start showing. It is used in recipes, which require strong lime aroma and flavor.
How to Select
You can remove lime rind at household level easily. Choose the desired colored limes, green to yellow as per the choice. The limes must be firm and heavy, free of molds, cuts or bruises. Try getting lime rind in few selected food shops or those storing spices. Dehydrated lime rinds are also available. Manufacturers like S L G Agro, Guntur can be contacted online and lime rind can be ordered.
· Lime rind is used as one of the ingredients in lime pies, lime chesecakes, lime mousse, lime rolls, ginger fish rolls, chicken and bean salad, and nany more recipes.
· Lime Rind can be turned into casual titibits. Just sprinkle lot of salt and little sugar and allow to dry. It tastes yummy, specially liked by pregnant women.
· You can use the zest while baking.
· The contineous round rind can be used as a garnish over drings as well as salads.
· You can try using it while brewing tea to give a fresh lime flavor.
· It can also be used while cooking of fish and meats.
· These also can be added to vinegrettes and salsas fo its tart sour flavor.
How to Store
Store the fresh lime rinds in freezer bags or air tight containers in deep freezer to avoid turning it hard due to loss of moisture. The dried ones can be packed in glass air tight containers and stored in a cool dry place.
l Lime rind has good medicinal properties. It can be processed to extract lime oil, which is said to have anti carcinogenic properties.
l The rind is used as a body scrub and as an ingredient in cleansing cosmetic products.
l It is an appetite stimulent as well as a digestive stimulent.
l It helps cure cough, cold and congestants.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.