· Hazelnuts are extensively used in confectionery to make praline and also used in combination with chocolate for chocolate truffles.
· In the USA, hazelnut butter is being promoted as a more nutritious spread than its peanut butter counterpart, though it has a higher fat content
· In Austria and especially in Vienna hazelnut paste is a prominent component in the world famous torts (such as Viennese hazelnut tort).
· Vodka-based Hazelnut liqueurs, such as Frangelico, are also increasing in esteem, especially in the U.S. and eastern Europe
· Hazelnut is favoured as a coffee flavouring, especially in the form of Hazelnut latte.
· Hazelnuts make for crunchy salads and creamy dressings.
How to store hazelnut, filbert
Store the nuts in an airtight container, kept in a cool dry place.
Health benefits of hazelnut, filbert
· Hazelnuts are rich in protein and unsaturated fat.
· Moreover, they contain significant amounts of thiamine and vitamin B6, as well as smaller amounts of other B vitamins.
· · Hazelnuts are high in oleic acid, a monounsaturated fatty acid that helps to lower cholesterol.
· · Hazelnuts lower blood pressure because of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium ·
· Hazelnuts contain cardio protective arginine, an amino acid that relaxes blood vessels.