Crème de menthe comes under the drink category and is alcoholic in nature. It is sweet and minty in taste, as its flavor is derived primarily from Corsican mint. For making it, peppermint leaves are steep dried in alcohol for several weeks. The product is then filtered, followed by addition of sugar. There is no aging required to mature it and can be made in an hour. It is usually white in color, although green color is also available. A green food coloring may be added to this peppermint extract. There is not much difference in flavor between the two varieties.
How to Select
It is one of the most popular liquors. You can get in a bar shop, or a wine shop. Also check in supermarkets, few do store it. It is available in dark glass bottle, very similar to champagne bottle, but there is no cork screw. It is also available in tin forms , which are packed together in boxes.
· Mix crème d menthe with ice cream and top it up with nuts or dry fruits. It gives a mint like flavor.
· It is also used as an ingredient in many cocktails namely the Grasshopper, Stinger. A cocktail called Emerald Forest includes blending together crushed ice with white and green crème d menthe along with gin. Other cocktails like green milkshake, frozen grasshopper, green spider have crème d menthe as a main ingredient.
· It has the prominent mint flavor. Hence it can be used as a flavoring agent in many recipes. You can add it while making chocolates to give mint chocolate.
· It is also served as a drink post dinner.
· It can be also used in cookies.
· Try making brownies using crème d menthe.
· It can also be used to flavor cottage cheese, cream cheese, yogurt, coffee drinks, fruit juices, milkshakes, flavored milk, cream soda, flavored soft drinks, pastries and desserts, marinade, salad dressing, ice cream and many more.
· Just about any type of fruit flavored alcoholic beverage, including margaritas and daiquiris, can be prepared using a drop or two of this mint tasting liqueur.
· Some people also like a hint of crème de menthe mixed in a basic drink, such as scotch and water, cola or rum.
How to Store
Once the bottle is opened, the contents start evaporating slowly and the flavor may also start losing. But the alcohol remains safe to consume. So always close the lid very tightly, when not in use. It is advisable to store the bottle in a cool dry place. If the alcohol develops an off odor or flavor, just discard it off.
· It is high in calories, due to the presence of alcohol. There is mild presence of proteins and carbohydrates, but nil fats.
· Crème d menthe is considered as a suitable drink at the end of meal time.
· As it helps in aiding digestion, it is considered as a digestive. It is served in small tube shaped glass and is considered an ideal follow up to the meal.