cream of tartar
Last Updated : Jan 22,2018
Viewed 33769 times
Also Known As
Potassium hydrogen tartrate
Cream of Tarter can be considered as a type of salt, produced when tartaric acid is half neutralized with potassium hydroxide. This is done during the process of wine making as grapes are the only rich natural source of tartaric acid. Crude Cream of Tartar, known as Beeswing, precipitates from the liquid and is collected from the wine and purified. It is fine , white and sour to taste and may turn grey on cooking. It is acidic in nature and has a number of uses in cooking.
How to Select
Indian manufacturers produce it under the category of Chemicals. Sagar Chemicals is 1 of them. You can get in selected food stores or supermarkets.
Cream of Tartar is an acid salt used often in cooking, and is an ingredient in most baking powders. You can say that 3 tbsp of lime juice or 3 tsp. Of vinegar equalises 1 tsp. of cream of tartar.
· It is best known to incorporate volume to beaten eggs as well as stabilize its stiffness.
· It is also used to produce a creamier texture in sugary desserts such as candy and frosting, because it inhibits the formation of crystals.
· It is also used as 1 of the ingredients in some baking powders and may be added to bakery products.
· Commercially it is added in soft drinks, still photography products,in candies and gelatin based desserts.
· Apart from this, cream of tartar is used to clean copper and brass vessels due to its acidic nature. It can be mixed with water or vinegar to clean pots and pans. When mixed with lemon juice, it removes ink marks from clothes.
How to Store
Store it in a cool dry place to avoid lump formation due to moisture. When stored properly, cream of tarter has a virtually infinite shelf-life. When any caking occurs, it can be pulverized for use.
· Cream of Tartar has the power of killing the yeast that causes Candida over the skin. Thus it helps cure candidiasis.
· Studies show that Cream of tartar is a good stool softener and shortens the intestinal transit time.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.