Last Updated : Jan 22,2018
Viewed 6407 times
Also Known as
Canned Artichoke Hearts, Canned Globe Artichoke, Canned Artichaut
Originating from Sicily and still very widely used in Italian cooking, the artichoke was first regarded in France mainly as a remedy for various ailments. They are grown today in the west (Brittany), the south east and around Paris. It is a perennial vegetable whose immature edible flower head is formed of a fleshy heart (base), surrounded by scaly leaves. After the inedible hairy central core (choke) has been removed, the base is eaten. The bases of the leaves are also edible. Since artichokes are not available commonly everywhere, they are also sold canned.
Canned artichoke hearts are formed from the heart and surrounding leaves of young artichokes.
Canned artichoke hearts
The entire artichoke or the "hearts" may be preserved in brine. One can use a mixture of oil, lemon and herbs along with water as a base for the brine. Usually, they are formed from the heart and the leaves of young artichokes
Canned green artichokes
They originate at Laon and have more pointed scales.
Canned violet artichokes
They originate at Provence. They can be eaten raw when small.
How to Select
Ensure that the can is not puffed. Before purchasing, check the brand and its manufacturing and expiry date.
· They are primarily used as a garnish or in salads.
· They can be served as a filling for omelettes, as fritters and au gratin.
· Use in pastas, risottos, quiche or as a topping for pizzas.
· Chop the hearts very fine and use in a vinaigrette dressing or combine with mayonnaise and use as a dip.
How to Store
Once the can is opened, it is best used immediately. Alternatively, empty the contents to another bowl and cover with cling film if unused. Always store under refrigerated conditions.
· It has diuretic properties and is rich in iron and potassium.
· It has a low energy value of 63 calories per 100gms. More so, the nutritional value makes it ideal for weight loss diets.
· It is known to positively help poor liver function (thus helping to lower the blood cholesterol), arteriosclerosis and gout.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.