Last Updated : Sep 28,2017
Viewed 8171 times
Also known as
Ziziphus, Bor, Ranbor
Native to Asia, specifically India, Ber is a tropical fruit. It has a soft, juicy flesh which is sweetish in taste. You will find it being sold by street cart vendors outside schools, beaches etc since it's a hit amongst all ages.
How to select
Ensure that the fruit berries are free from blemishes or other marks. They should have flesh intact and a bright red colour. Dried ber will have a more shriveled appearance and pale reddish brown colour. If purchasing from supermarkets, check the packaging for details.
· The fruit can be eaten raw or can be pickled. Raw ber is a favourite amongst school going children who have it seasoned with salt.
· Use crushed ber as syrups in beverages like mocktails etc.
· Fully mature unripe ber can be used in chutneys, murabbas etc.
· Use ber to make delicious jellies.
How to store
Ber can be stored fresh under refrigerated conditions. Many people in North India dry the fruit under the sun so that it can be used all round the year.
· It is rich in Vitamin C.
· The fruit is easily digestible and acts as a mild laxative.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.