How many calories does one Corn Methi Kebab, Corn Methi Tikki have?
One Corn Methi Kebab gives 36 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 26 calories, proteins account for 4 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 6 calories. One Corn Methi Kebab provides about 2 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See recipe Corn Methi Kebab corn methi kebab recipe | corn methi tikki | methi corn kebab | with amazing 15 images.
Looking for a perfect and easy party starter or a evening snack recipe? We have a recipe that can seal the deal which is corn methi kebab. Give twist to the old aloo tikki and kebabs by revamping them with this delicious and unique corn methi kebab recipe.
Corn methi kebabs are simple and quick to make, you can even pack this for your kids tiffin box. This kebabs are easy way to add nutrition to kids meal as methi and corn are both very healthy and have high nutritive value and potatoes with provide the energy.
To make this innovate corn methi kebab recipe you need a minimum of ingredients and can be made in a jiffy. To prepare corn methi tikki, in a deep bowl take, boiled and coarsely crushed corn kernels, add fenugreek leaves. Further add potatoes, you can also added paneer if you wish to. Next, add coriander leaves for a fresh flavor and add Indian spices like red chilli powder for a hint of spiciness, you can adjust it according to your preference. Also add coriander cumin seed powder. Further more for binding add rice flour and corn flour and mix all the ingredients well. Divide and roll into tikkis and cook the corn methi tikki on a non stick pan with little oil until they are golden brown. Relish hot and tasty corn methi kebab with green chutney or any dip that you wish.
Corn methi kebabs are simply loved by all my family members, from kids to elders. I usally make this for evening snack , get to gathers and for kitty party snacks. The best part is the preparation and cooking of corn methi kebab doesn't take much time.
Is Corn Methi Kebab, Corn Methi Tikki healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Sweet Corn : The pros. Sweet corn in a rich in fibre. The high vitamin B3 – 2.61 mg / cup is known to reduce cholesterol levels in body and in turn promote heart health. Sweet corn is good for pregnancy as high folate content and antioxidants - lutein is good for the foetus.The cons. the glycemic index of sweet corn is said to be between 55 to 58 and hence not suited for diabetics and best to restrict the usage. Though sweet corn is a good source of fiber, low in fat and helps control appetite, considering that it is a vegetable it has more calories than other fiber rich veggies, so restrict usage for weight loss. So given a choice it is wise to opt for other veggies first. Read the article is sweet corn healthy?
2. Methi leaves (fenugreek leaves) : Methi leaves are low in calorie, powerful antioxidant and cures mouth ulcers. Fenugreek leaves help in improving glucose and insulin responses, hence good for diabetics. The levels of cholesterol also reduced with intakes of fenugreek leaves. Rich in Vitamin K which is good for bone metabolism. They are good source of iron which is important for pregnant women as well as other individuals. Iron is a part of hemoglobin in the blood. A deficiency of iron may cause anaemia and that may decrease your work ability and make you fatigue easily. See all benefits of methi leaves here.
3. Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : Coriander is a fresh herb often used as a flavour enhancer in Indian cooking. It is mainly used as a garnish. This is the best way to use it - no cooking. This preserves its vitamin C content which helps to build our immunity and bring that sparkle to the skin. The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
4. Kashmiri chilli: Like red chillies, Kashmiri chillies also have vitamin C, though in smaller quantites than the fresh red chillies. This helps to boost immunity and improve skin health. They also have minute amounts of copper, potassium, manganese, magnesium and iron along with B vitamins. Small amounts of Kashmiri chilli powder can aid digestion, but more quantity can affect the lining of the digestive tract.
5. Benefits of Cumin Seeds ( jeera) : The most common benefit of jeera known to many is to soothe the stomach, intestine and the entire digestive tract. Cumin seeds are apparently a very good source of iron. A tbsp. of cumin seeds can fulfil nearly 20% of days iron requirement. Even small quantity of cumin seeds has huge amounts of calcium ( see calcium rich Indian foods ) – a bone supporting mineral. They aid is digestion, weight loss and help reduce inflammation. See detailed benefits of cumin seeds, jeera.
What's the problem?
1. Potatoes (Aloo) : Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. Potatoes are recommended for malnourished children and people with low weight. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.
2. Rice flour (chawal ka atta) : Rice flour is high in carbohydrates, not a good source of protein. Since it is made from polished rice it has no vitamins and minerals. Consumption of rice flour can cause inflammtion in your body and not good for heart patients and diabetics. See full details on is rice flour bad for you?
3. Cornflour ( Cornstarch) : Pros. Cornflour is easy to digest because of the presence of insoluble fiber, thus benefits the gut. It’s gluten-free and can be consumed by those who cannot afford to have wheat. Cons. Cornflour is full of calories and carbs like refined sugar, thus a barrier to weight reduction. Those on weight loss diet must definitely not reach out for it. The high carbs makes it a No-No for a diabetic meal and restricted for heart patients. Read for more details is cornflour healthy?
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can diabetics, heart patients and overweight individuals have Corn Methi Kebab, Corn Methi Tikki?
No, this recipe is not healthy and good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity.
Can healthy individuals have Corn Methi Kebab, Corn Methi Tikki?
Here are some Healthy Indian snack options.
You can have Baked Samosa with mixed sprouts, Matarsutir Kachori, Oats Moong Dal Tikki, Baked methi muthia recipe, Zunka recipe, moong dal dhokla recipe, bajra carrot onion uttapam recipe , baked palak jowar murukku, mini jowar pancakes, oats upma, baked sev , baked whole wheat puris, paneer pudina tikki or buckwheat pancake as one healthy recipe option.
Oats Moong Dal Tikki
Healthy Chutney to have
Have this with nutritious green chutney recipe which has ZERO sugar used in it made with mint leaves, onions and coriander, lehsun ka chutney, green garlic chutney or green chutney recipe. Coconut based options are healthy coconut chutney made from coconut and coriander and coconut coriander green chutney for idlis dosa uttapam vada.
Nutritious Green Chutney
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
Skip having Indian junk foods like pav bhaji, bata vada, pakoras, gulab jamun as they cause your body to have insulance resistance. The resultant is your body will store more carbohydrates as fats, causing storage of fat in the stomach causing a paunch and slowing down of our fat burning process. So its a bad cyle which causes you more more hunger and fatigue every time you eat junk food.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds. Stress. The easiest way to kill your immune system is chronic stress.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that. Workout builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss, builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
One Corn Methi Kebab, Corn Methi Tikki is high in
Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 36 calories that come from one Corn Methi Kebab, Corn Methi Tikki?
Walking (6 kmph) = 11 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 4 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 5 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 6 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.