Viewed 10374 times
Also Known as
Sugar substitute is a food additive that duplicates the effect of sugar in taste, but usually has less calories. Some sugar substitutes are natural and some are synthetic. The latter are usually referred to as artificial sweeteners.
Artificial sweeteners are commonly used in the so-called diet or light soft drinks.
How to Select
• Artificial sweeteners are easily available at supermarkets and medical stores.
• Adhere strictly to your doctor's prescription if taking artificial sweeteners for a specific purpose.
• Read the label thoroughly and then purchase accordingly.
• Artificial sweetener is a convenient low-cal alternative to sugar though it should be used with caution.
• It can be added to your morning cup of tea as well as coffee.
• Sugar substitute can be inculcated in any food where you want a sweet flavour.
• It blends well in cakes, drinks, sweet dishes as well as milkshakes.
How to Store
• Keep away from moisture, preferably in the container it came packed in.
• Check the manufacturing and expiry dates before buying.
• Sugar substitutes are often used by diabetics and those trying to lose weight. With much fewer calories, such sweeteners allow them to eat the same foods they normally would, while allowing them to lose weight and avoid other problems associated with excessive caloric intake.
• Some sugar substitutes do release energy, but are metabolized more slowly, allowing blood sugar levels to remain more stable over time. This is beneficial for diabetics.
• Sugar substitutes are tooth-friendly, as they are not fermented by the micro flora of the dental plaque.
• However, sugar substitutes, especially synthetic ones must be used with discretion.
• They must be avoided by pregnant women.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.