Viewed 6094 times
Burger bun is hand-sized, dome-shaped, flat-bottomed bread, which is typically sliced into two and packed with a vegetable patty, lettuce, cheese, shredded vegetables, etc. to make burgers, a popular fast food across the world.
Basic burger buns are usually made using flour, sugar, eggs, yeast and butter. While it used be sweet bread, nowadays a variety of whole wheat and savoury varieties are also used.
A burger bun can be long and skinny, short and round and or in other different shapes and sizes. The burger buns served in major fast food establishments are mass-produced in factories and frozen for delivery to the site. These buns are thin and of uniform thickness, differing from the thicker variety of traditional, handmade American burger buns. Baked burger buns are often served as a picnic and party food, cooked outdoors on barbecue grills.
How to select
• Fres hhomemade burger buns are much better than pre-baked buns.
• However, if buying from a bakery or supermarket, choose a fresh lot after checking the date of manufacturing and expiry.
• The seasonings and fillings may be chosen as per individual preferences and the recipe requirement.
• Pack the burger bun with a patty of your choice and loads of nice toppings such as mayonnaise, sauerkraut, pickled gherkins, onions, ketchup, mustard, etc., and voila, your delicious burger is ready!
• Burger buns are often served with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles or cheese and condiments such as mustard, mayonnaise, and ketchup.
• Freshly-baked burger buns can be simply enjoyed as a tea-time snack without any filling.
• The stuffing or filling for burger buns may range from ham and ground beef to mashed potato cutlet, tikki, tofu or sprouts.
How to store
Fresh burger buns taste best, but they can be stored in the refrigerator and used within 3-4 days.
• Traditional burger buns are high in carbohydrate and calories.
• By using a whole wheat burger bun, you can sneak a little nutrition into this all-American fast food.