Moong Dal Kachori
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 417 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 488761 times
A perfect kachori is one that is puffed up and flaky outside but hollow inside as the filling sticks to the crust. Here is how to make such an ideal kachori, right in your own kitchen. With a flavourful moong dal mixture as filling, this kachori is deep-fried patiently on a slow flame to achieve that deliciously crisp crust and hollow, well-cooked interior. The Moong Dal Kachori can be kept fresh and stored in an air-tight containers for 2 to 3 days. Just before serving, warm up the kachoris in an oven for about 7 to 10 minutes, fill them with curds and chutneys and serve!
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the moong dal and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the ginger-green chilli paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and ¼ cup of water and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the besan, garam masala and dried mango powder and mix well.
- Divide the filling into 12 equal portions and keep aside to cool.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and keep aside.
- Roll out each portion of the dough into a 63 mm. (2½ ") diameter circle.
- Place one portion of the moong dal filling in the centre.
- Bring together all the sides, seal it tightly and remove any excess dough.
- Roll the filled portion again into a 75 mm. (3") diameter circle, while ensuring that the filling does not spill out.
- Gently press the centrer of the kachori with your thumb.
- Repeat steps 2 to 6 to make 11 more kachoris.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry, 6 kachoris at a time on a medium flame, for 4 minutes. Reduce the flame and deep-fry on a slow flame for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Repeat steps 8 to deep-fry 6 more kachoris.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.