Moong Dal Payasam Video by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 3771 times
South Indian festival menus are just not complete without Moong Dal Payasam. Considered as one of the most auspicious offerings to God, it is made during most pujas, and is served as the first item on the plantain leaf during a traditional meal. Moong Dal (Pasi Paruppu) Payasam is made by sweetening moong dal mash with jaggery. The mixture is thinned with coconut milk and flavoured with cardamom and other spices. Dry roasting the dal before cooking gives a rich aroma to the payasam, while coconut milk gives it a pleasant flavour. Enjoy this payasam warm.
Recipe Description for Moong Dal Payasam, Pasi Paruppu Payasam
- To make thin coconut milk, combine 1 cup of coconut milk along with 1 cup of water in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat a broad non-stick pan, add the moong dal and dry roast on a medium flame for 3 minutes or till it turns light brown in colour.
- Transfer the dal into a strainer and wash it well.
- Combine the dal and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid, mix well using a whisk and keep aside.
- Heat a deep non-stick pan, add the cooked dal and jaggery, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the thin coconut milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of coconut milk, cardamom powder and dried ginger powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the ghee in a small non-stick pan, add the coconut and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the cashewnuts and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the raisins and sauté on a medium flame for few more seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the prepared payasam and mix well.
- Serve warm.
See step by step images of Moong Dal Payasam, Pasi Paruppu Payasam Recipe
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.