Last Updated : Jan 06,2018
Viewed 4478 times
The Mandarin orange, also known as mandarin or mandarine, is a small citrus tree (Citrus reticulata) . The fruits resemble those of orange. The fruit is oblate, rather than spherical. The mandarin is easily peeled with the fingers, starting at the thick rind covering the depression at the top of the fruit, and can be easily split into even segments without squirting juice. This makes it convenient to eat. Mandarin oranges are usually eaten plain, or in fruit salads.
How to select
Choose oranges that are firm and heavy for size. Avoid blemishes and shriveled or moldy spots. For the juiciest, sweetest fruit, look for oranges with a sweet, clean fragrance. The best indices of maturity for citrus are Brix, acid content, and the Brix/acid ratio. External color is a function of climate more than ripeness, and is a poor indicator of maturity.
· Mandarin Oranges can be eaten as a snack-just peel and enjoy. Before cutting the orange in half horizontally through the center, wash the skin so that any dirt or bacteria residing on the surface will not be transferred to the fruit. Proceed to cut the sections into halves or thirds, depending upon your personal preference.
· Mandarin Oranges are oftentimes called for in recipes in the form of orange juice. As oranges, like most citrus fruits, will produce more juice when warmer, always juice them when they are at room temperature. Rolling the orange under the palm of your hand on a flat surface will also help to extract more juice.
· Healthy sauté onions and ginger, and then deglaze the pan with orange juice. Use this liquid as a sauce for salmon or tuna.
How to store
You can store mandarin oranges at cool room temperature for one week or for two weeks in the refrigerator .
· The dried peel of the fruit of C. reticulata is used in the regulation of 'chi'in traditional Chinese medicine.
· The peel is also used to treat abdominal distension, enhance digestion, and to reduce phlegm.
· In addition, mandarin oranges are a good source of Vitamin C,B vitamins including vitamin B1 and folate as well as vitamin A, calcium and potassium
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.