Also known As
Frozen Whip topping, low fat cool whip.
A low fat frozen whipped topping is a non dairy frozen topping, having a fat % of 8 to 15 %. it is free of milk solids and phosphate salts. Chemical emulsifier and sodium caseinate is added during its manufacturing.It is made of water, corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated coconut and palm kernel oil , sodium caseinate, natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 60 , and beta carotene. It is propagated as a non dairy product, simply because there is no milk, cream or its product used in making it. But it contains a milk derivative, casein.
How to Select
Low fat frozen whip is generally manufactured in the U.S and in Canada. The most easily available is the Jello Cool Whip, a product of Kraft foods. It is available in an aerosol cans or in plastic tubs of two variable sizes. Nitrous oxide is used as a propellant. It is distributed through grocery markets in a frozen state and may be refrigerated before serving. The available varieties of cool whip include Original, Extra Creamy, French Vanilla, Light, Reduced Fat, Fat Free, and Sugar-Free, made using Splenda. Flavor may also be added like chocolate or strawberry, which is seasonal. Since low fat frozen whip is not locally used much in India, see to it that you buy fresh-looking packages. Dusty cans or torn labels can indicate old stock. Do not purchase dented or bulging cans.
· Being a topping, low fat frozen whip is mostly seen over the desserts. It can also be had as it is after chilling in the freezer.
· Easy Banana pudding can be made using peanut butter. Just garnish the pudding with crispy wafers and a scooper of chocolate frozen whip to give it an appealing dessert look.
· Raspberry frozen Whip Jello makes a beautiful side dish or dessert for just about any party or a potluck. Serve it in a tall glass bowl to see the pretty layers through the sides. Garnish with fresh raspberries.
· It can be topped over a fruit pie with a jelly in the center.
· Frozen whip can be scooped over a really chill cappuccino or even over a cold coffee.
· Use the chocolate flavored frozen whip over chocolate milkshake.
How to Store
Low fat frozen Whip, available in aerosol can can be kept under refrigeration temperature of 30 - 40' F for around 3 months, if unopened. Once opened, you can store it for 2-3 weeks, well lidded under refrigeration. You can also deep freeze it at 0' C and store for 14 months. Once you thaw and use it, it may again be refreeze d 3-4 times.