Kulfi is a famous delicious dairy based dessert, which is made using rich milk and is creamier and smooth. When compared to ice-cream, this is much more creamier and smoother and denser, as these are not whipped like ice-creams. The common ingredients used in preparing kulfi are milk, cream, rose essence, saffron, cardamom powder, pistachios and sugar. These days, they are also available in various flavours like apple, falooda, strawberry, mango, etc. Since these are so dense and thick, they donot melt easily. Various forms of kulfi are available like falooda kulfi, rose kulfi, pista kulfi, badaam kilfi, kesar kulfi etc.
Traditionally, kulfi is prepared by evaporating sweetened and flavoured milk via slow cooking, with almost continuous stirring to keep milk from sticking to the bottom of the vessel or till its volume is reduced by half, thus thickening it. The semi-condensed mix is then frozen in tight sealed moulds (often kulhars with their mouths sealed) that are then submerged in ice mixed with salt to speed up the freezing process. The ice/salt mix, along with its submerged kulfi moulds, is placed in a matka or an earthen pot that provide insulation from the external heat and slow down the melting of ice.
It is then garnished with cardamom powder, saffron, or pistachio. In some places, people make it at home and make their own flavours. Traditionally in India, kulfi is sold by vendors called kulfiwalas, who keep the kulfi frozen by placing the moulds inside a large earthenware pot called a matka filled with ice and salt.
How to Select
• When buying kulfis from market, always buy from a trusted vendor where chances are that you will get fresh kulfis.
• Donot choose kulfis which have mouldy or black coloured spots on it.
• When making at home, choose fresh ingredients from market like fresh milk and good quality products.
• Kulfis tastes delicious as it is.
• They can be added to various kinds of desserts like falooda to make some delicious desserts.
How to Store
• Store the kulfis in a air tight container in freezer till use.
• Make sure the containers are clean before you store in them.
• They are rich source of carbohydrates and calcium as they contain good amounts of milk, cream and sugar.
• However, overweight and diabetics should avoid eating them in excess as they contain higher amount of fat and sugar.