Last Updated : Oct 04,2017
Viewed 1923 times
Also Known As
Kolumbu powder is a mixture of ingredients, which are fried together without any oil. This powder consists of the spices Coriander powder, Red chili powder, turmeric powder along with rice flour, urad dal flour and methi powder. The powder is then cooled and stored in air tight container. The recipe prepared using this powder is is called kolumbu. It is an alternative of other masala mix or spice blends available in market. It can be made at household level easily.
How to Select
See to it that the ingredients used in preparing this powder are at their best quality, which would allow a longer shelf life for storing this powder. While buying the ingredients, check for any insect infestation, especially in rice and udad flour. See t it that the spices selected are free from adulterants.
· Kolumbu powder can be used in preparing many subjis in the main course, and it is considered as a good variation in the meal cooking.
· You can make Minced Meat Kolumbu or Kothukari, where meat is cooked with ginger garlic paste and onions along with chopped tomatoes, coriander and mint leaves. The kolumbu powder is then added as a paste. This recipe can be served with Idlis ,roti or paratha.
· You can use this powder to make poondu kolumbu, which is a type of garlic pickle.
· It can be used to make Vathal Kolumbu, which is a south Indian kolumbu preparation.
How to Store
As it is a powder prepared after heat treatment, it has a good shelf life. Store it in a cool dry place, free of moisture, in a vacuumed air tight container. Always lid tightly once opened and use a dry spoon to remove it from the container.
· Kolumbu powder has been recognized as having a positive effect on many common ailments due to its natural anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-tumor, and anti-amyloid properties of its mix ingredients.
· Curcumin present in turmeric helps to reduce Alzheimer patient's plaque in the brain.
· Curcumin also helps in preventing breast cancer, skin cancer and cystic fibrosis.
· Red chili powder is associated with anti oxidative and anti inflammatory activities in the body.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.