Last Updated : Jul 04,2018
Viewed 4830 times
Jalebi is a hot favourite on any special occasion be it a birthday, wedding or festival. Jalebis are Indian desserts made by deep-frying a wheat flour (maida flour) batter in pretzel or circular shapes, which are then soaked in sugar syrup. They can be served warm or cold as well. They are sweet with chewy texture and crunchy crust. In India, jalebis are served as celebration feasts in occasions like Diwali, Eid, etc. The common ingredients used in making jalebis are maida, curds, soda, ghee, sugar, oil or ghee. The batter is made using four, curd, soda and ghee and pressed through jalebi mould into thin crisp spiral like jalebis in hot ghee or oil in a broad flat pan and dried till crisp.
They are then soaked in sugar syrup and served hot, either plain or with rabadi.
Sometime the syrup is flavoured with rose or saffron to add some extra flavour and fragrance. Also, food colouring may be added to add some extra brightness.
How to Select
• When buying readymade jalebis from market, make sure they are made fresh and are crisp so that they do not turn soggy.
• These days, readymade jalebi batters are also available in the market, which can be bought at home and made into jalebis as desired.
• Check the seal, date of manufacturing and expiry before buying such packets.
• Jalebis tastes delicious when serve fresh hot from the pan.
• They can be topped with rabadi to make delicious desserts.
• Jalebis though mostly eaten by themselves, can also be soaked in warm milk.
How to Store
• Its best to consume jalebis fresh when they are made, as they can turn soggy when kept for a long time.
• Make sure the containers are clean before you store in them.
• They are rich source of carbohydrates and energy as they contain good amounts of fat and sugar.
• However, overweight and diabetics should avoid eating them in excess as they contain higher amount of fat and sugar.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.