The fresh, almost grassy flavour of green peppers and the spicy kick of red peppers are added to heighten the subtle dairy notes up, by increasing the spice level. Feta, Cheddar or Mozzarella on one side, with jalapenos, pimentos, black pepper, or even chilli flakes on the other, providing the heat. From here on, it's a question of pairing cheese with spice. The peppery cheese cubes can be prepared at home by blending the cheese with the herbs of choice along with the spice that you prefer. Hot pepper cheese are an excellent addition to dips and dressings.
How to select
• Hot pepper cheese cubes should not be too crumbly or dry with the colour being relatively uniform.
• Check the expiry date and look out for any discoloration or mouldy spots.
• Opt for varieties that provide no more than 5grams of fat per ounce.
• It is a popular cheese for snacking on its own or with crackers.
• This spicy cheese can be used in both soup and sauce recipes.
• A few dishes which use hot pepper cheese are mashed potatoes, shepherd's pie, macaroni and cheese, casseroles, etc.
• Pepper Cheese tastes superb between toasted wheat breads with cucumber and tomato slices.
• Hot pepper cheese can be added to omelettes, pizza, soufflés, au gratins, fondues, etc.
• Hot pepper cheese is used to make spicy salad dressings and dips.
How to store
• All cheeses, regardless of variety, should be well wrapped and kept in the warmest section of the refrigerator. (The refrigerator door is often one of the warmest spots).
• As storage life is related to the moisture content of the cheese, the softer the cheese, the shorter amount of time it will keep fresh.
• In general, firm and semi-firm cheeses like hot pepper will keep for 2 weeks.
• Regardless of the type of milk used to create it, pepper cheese is a concentrated source of the nutrients naturally found in milk, including calcium.
• Hot pepper cheese cubes also contains a large amount of other essential nutrients such as phosphorous, zinc, riboflavin, vitamin B12 and vitamin A.
• It is also a dense source of high quality protein.