Last Updated : Feb 03,2018
Viewed 1174 times
Also known as
Chevre is a type of cheese made from goat’s milk, which is very rich and creamy. It is very famous in Italy and France, which have a rich culture of cheese dating back hundreds of years. While in India, we used to get only plain cheese and mozzarella till a few years ago, now we are catching up with the international varieties! Several exotic cheeses are now available in gourmet food stores and online stores.
Goat cheese is also called as Lactic Acid Coagulated cheese. To make this cheese, first curd is made, during which lactose is converted to lactic acid. A small amount of rennet is added to make the daily cycle of cheese better. It is then set aside for 18 to 24 hours, drained through a cloth in a colander. A bit of salt is added and the goat cheese is ready. It is moulded in shapes by setting it in the desired moulds.
This cheese is soft, because no pressing weight is used to drain the water from the curd, just a simple colander!
Crumbled goat cheese
Crumble the cheese with your hands or using a fork. It is often used in making salads or dressings.
How to select
• Fresh goat cheese is firm in texture and not mushy.
• Go for a vacuum-sealed pack, but make sure there is no excess liquid, leakage or discoloration on the cheese.
• Check the expiry date on the packet before purchasing.
• Goat cheese is used to make starters, salads and quiches.
• Also used as a garnish on quiche, baked dishes, etc.
• It takes great when used in pizzas along with other cheeses.
How to store
• Do not wrap it in plastic cling film.
• Unopened cheese will stay good for 2 months or as mentioned on the package.
• Once opened, store in a plastic or glass container and refrigerate.
• Consume within one week once opened.
• Goat cheese contains less lactose than cow’s milk and cheese.
• It has smaller fat globules, which makes the cheese easier to digest.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.