Last Updated : Apr 20,2021
Viewed 25094 times
Also Known As
Dry Ginger, Soonth, Sunth
Dried ginger is nothing but fresh ginger which undergoes a drying process before being used. The fresh rhizomes are soaked in water overnight after which the outer peel is carefully removed using a knife or a peeler. They are washed again and then sun dried on mats or barbecues for around a week. During this period, they are turned periodically. The end result is a pale white dried ginger. Many a times, dried ginger is bleached with calcium carbonate to get a whitish covering on ginger. However, this is not required and can be avoided.
If ginger is unpeeled and then dried, it is called Brown Ginger. As opposed to this, if it is peeled and dried, then it is called White Ginger.
How to select
Dried ginger will have a whitish powdery coating and will be extremely firm to touch.
· Dried ginger is usually powdered and then used in making spices and masalas which are used in gravies, curries, marinades, stews etc.
· Dried ginger is crushed or powdered and then used to brew teas.
· It is used crushed in Indian, specifically Punjabi marinades for Tandoori starters, veg as well as non veg.
How to store
Always store dried ginger in an air tight container in a cool dry place away from moisture and humidity.
· Dried Ginger, when powdered, is an effective cure for indigestion, sore throat, cold and cough.
· It is used to treat nausea.
· Ginger's therapeutic properties help stimulate blood circulation, cleanse the bowels and kidneys, remove toxins from the body and nourish the skin.
· It is used in the treatment of asthma and other respiratory problems.
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.