Chopped curly red lettuce
Lettuce should be washed very well since the leaves and stems tend to collect sand and soil. When washing these lettuces, separate the leaves at the bottom of the stalk, rinse to remove any dirt and dry gently between two paper towels or in a salad spinner. Tear leaves into pieces of the desired size. Put the washed leaves on a chopping board and chop them in small 1-2 inch sized pieces.
• Drizzle curly red lettuce with olive oil and lemon juice and serve as a salad.
• Curly red lettuce makes a beautifully crisp, fresh and tasty base for salads.
• This curly and wavy lettuce adds body, flavour and decorative appeal to any salad.
• The dressing used while using red lettuce should be mild with soft herbs.
• Sandwiches can be made that much more special with a few delicately layered red and green lettuce leafs.
How to store curly red lettuce
Store unwashed lettuce in a damp paper towel in a plastic bag. They should be placed in the refrigerator crisper where they will keep for 1 to 3 days, but the sooner they are eaten, the better they will taste.
Health benefits of curly red lettuce
• Curly red lettuce contains the antioxidants like beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E and quercetin, which is believed to help cleanse the body from toxins, prevent the damage caused by free-radicals and reduce the risk of heart disease.
• Low in saturated fat and cholesterol (practically none) it's a good source of iron, vitamin B6, K, A, and C.
• It helps prevent constipation due to its high fibre content.
• As it has iron and phosphorus, it adds nutritional value to the meal.