Last Updated : Jan 13,2018
Viewed 16658 times
Also known as:
Angostura Aromatic Bitter, Angostura Orange Bitters
Angostura Bitters gets its name from the town it originated from. It is native to Venezuela and is commonly referred to as Angostura. It is branded by "House of Angostura" at Trinidad and Tobago and been made with the same ingredients since 1824. The aromatic bitters may be distinguished from all other aromatic bitters by its fine flavour and aromatic odour. Because of its delightful flavour and aroma it has become extremely popular for use in soft drinks, cocktails and other alcoholic beverages.The recipe is safe guarded and kept as a secret for ages. Since the bitters is extremely concentrated, they are not drunk neat, but used to flavour food and beverages in the form of dashes or few drops.
Angostura Aromatic Bitters
It is a skillfully blended aromatic preparation of gentian flowers in combination with a variety of vegetable colouring matter.
Angostura Orange Bitters
Angostura Orange Bitters is a blend of citrus essence with oils from bitter and sweet oranges, herbs and spices. The result is impressively complex and overall balanced, which can do wonderful things to cocktails when properly used.
Note: Bitters is an alcoholic beverage which is true to its name. This bitter or bittersweet flavour drink is prepared by infusing aromatic herbs, alcohol, bark, roots, and/ or fruit for their flavour. It usually has an alcoholic strength of 45% and is consumed in small amounts. They have medicinal value because of the spice/ herb used.
How to select
The first impressions of Angostura Orange Bitters when you smell it should be the pleasant aroma of orange and geranium. The primary flavour is reminiscent or fresh sweet blood oranges with spicy secondary flavour of cardamom and coriander. This is followed by more complex level of dry bitters orange.
1. It finds a prominent place in flavouring cocktails.
2. Pink gin : Angostura Bitters is swirled around the inner surface of a glass before adding a generous measure of Gin. It is then combined with tonic water to make the resulting drink which is pink in colour because of the bitters.
3. It is one of the ingredients in classic cocktails like Manhattan and Long Vodka.
4. It can also be combined with lemon and lime to make non alcoholic drinks.
How to Store
Since there is use of many herbs, spices and high alcohol content, Angostura Bitters don't get spoilt for a long time. You can store them in a cool, dry place. Ensure its properly sealed.
1. It has medicinal value and can be used as a digestive.
2. Angostura bitters can be of some value for settling a mild case of nausea.
3. Many Venezuelans use this bitters as a cure for headaches, abdominal pain etc.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.