Last Updated : Jun 20,2019
Viewed 205 times
Also Known as
Description of Poi Saag
Poi saag, also known as Malabar spinach is a green leafy vegetable consumed in abundance in the eastern states of India. It has 2 varieties. One has green stems and the other has reddish green stems. However, leaves of both the plants are green and are heart shaped.
Chopped poi saag
Remove the leaves from the stem. Wash them thoroughly under running water and drain them. Place them on a chopping board and chop them up finely or coarsely as per your recipe need using a sharp knife. You need not discard the stem. Chop it up finely along with the leaves and use them for your subzis.
Culinary uses of Poi Saag
Both the stems and leaves of the plant are consumed. The leaves of this inexpensive plant are used in mixed vegetable preparations and are also deep fried to make fritters.
How to Select Poi Saag
• Choose bunches with fresh and green leaves that do not have holes or brown spots, which may be an indication of damage by insects and worms.
• Avoid bunches with limp or yellow leaves.
How to Store Poi Saag
Remove excess dirt and stored in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
Health Benefits of Poi Saaag
• Poi saag is a good source of calcium, which aids in bone strengthening.
• The high vitamin C of this saag is a great way to build immunity and ward of infections.
• It abounds in folate - a key nutrient which helps to reduce homocysteine levels and reduce the risk of high blood pressure and heart attacks.
• Being a fairly good source of iron, it helps in supply of oxygen to all parts of the body and thus prevents fatigue.
• Rich in antioxidants like zeaxanthin and lutein, poi saag helps to neutralize the free radicals in the body and protect from cancer.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.