Baked Cabbage in Tomato Onion Gravy
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 94 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 22897 times
A unique and appealing preparation of cabbages, halved and baked in a spicy onion-tomato gravy, topped with juicy green peas and of course, loads of cheese and cream.
It is interesting to note that unlike most dishes in which cabbage is used in shredded form, here it is kept as halves with only the central hard portion removed.
The gravy gives the dish a wonderfully tangy and spicy flavour, while the cheese and cream give the Baked Cabbage in Tomato Onion Gravy a rich mouth-feel. Enjoy this dish right out of the oven!
If you want to round out the meal serve along with Carrot and Spinach Soup and pasta .
- Heat the butter in a broad non-stick pan, add the bay leaf and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the prepared paste , mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 cup of water, sugar and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Put enough water in a deep sauce pan and bring it to boil, add salt and cabbage, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Drain and cut the cabbage vertically in halves, discarding the hard center portion.
- Place the cabbage halves in the baking dish, pour the prepared gravy, green peas, fresh cream and cheese evenly over it.
- Bake it in an pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.