by Tarla Dalal
Added to 86 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 30904 times
Organize an outdoor lunch-dish up hot bajra rotis and serve with khandeshi dal-they make an amazing pair. Moong, masoor, toovar and urad dals are cooked with a spicy paste made of onions, dry coconut, chillies, pepper and more. A fiery tadka adds deeper flavor to the dish and brings out beautiful colors of the dal. Have fun!
- Clean, wash and soak the dals in water for 2 hours. Drain.
- Combine the dals, 2 cups of water, salt and turmeric powder in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Transfer the dals to a deep bowl. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the coconut and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the red chillies, coriander powder, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and peppercorns and sauté on a medium flame for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for a few more seconds.
- Remove from the flame and allow it to cool completely.
- Once cooled, blend in a mixer to a smooth powder and keep aside.
- Add 1/2 of the prepared masala to the dal, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the red chilli and bayleaf and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the prepared dal mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice and coriander and mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
RECIPE SOURCE : Dals
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.