Added to 548 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 108471 times
The aromatic flavours of this traditional South Indian dish are truly irresistible. The speciality of this sambhar is that it is made with minimal oil and loads of vegetables which enhance its nutritive value. When served hot with Nutritious Stuffed Idlis, it makes a meal that is very hard to resist. Alternatively, relish this sambhar with steamed rice to make a wholesome meal.
- Roast all the ingredients in a non-stick pan for 4 to 5 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Grind to a fine paste in a blender using a little water. Keep aside.
- Clean and wash the toovar dal.
- Pressure cook the dal, onion, brinjals, drumstick and potato with 2 cups of water.
- Then add the tomato, tamarind pulp, sambhar masala paste, salt and 4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Prepare the tempering by heating the oil in a non-stick pan and frying the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida until the mustard seeds crackle.
- Add to the sambhar and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
|Vit A||107.9 mcg|
|Vit C||10.4 mg|
|F. Acid||44.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.