by Tarla Dalal
Added to 184 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 48126 times
An elaborate snack, which is nevertheless not too tough to prepare, Bhedawi Puri offers a unique dining experience of nigella flavoured puris stuffed with a masaledar urad dal mixture. The nigella seeds add a tantalising flavour to the puris while the fennel seeds, although used in smaller quantities than other spices lends its inimitable touch to the stuffing. Drain these puris on an absorbent paper and serve immediately on preparation, to enjoy the best texture.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a stiff dough using enough water.
- Cover with a lid and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Soak the urad dal in enough hot water for 3 hours. Drain and coarsely grind the urad dal in a mixer without using any water. Keep aside.
- Heat a broad non-stick pan, add the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, peppercorns and red chillies and dry roast on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes. Cool slightly and grind in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the urad dal mixture and cook on medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till the urad dal turns golden brown in colour, while stirring continuously.
- Add the prepared powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Divide the stuffing into 10 equal portions and keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter circle.
- Place a portion of the stuffing in the centre of the circle.
- Bring together all the sides in the centre and seal it tightly.
- Roll out the stuffed dough circle into a 100 mm. (4”) diameter circle.
- Repeat steps 2 to 5 to make 9 more puris.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stickkadhai and deep-fry, a few puris at a time,till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.