Also Known as
Dill Seeds have a much more potent flavor, similar to a combination of anise and celery. The flat, yellow flowers umbels of late summer give way to the seeds in fall. Dill seed has a camphorous, slightly bitter flavor and has a delicate flavor.
How to Select
Choose the uniform and aromatic packets of suva dana. Purchase small packets to retain the aroma for long time. It is very easily available in the grocery.
· Dill Seed is good sprinkled over casseroles before baking and used in salad dressings.
· Dill seed is spice-like; the seeds have a stronger flavor than the weed.
· These can be used in breads, stews, rices, root vegetable dishes and most notably, the making of pickles.
· These seed heads, when combined with vinegars, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper produce the dilled pickles that have that wonderfully puckery quality.
· Dill seeds have a much stronger flavor and in combination with vinegar and spices make a great pickling
· They are partnered with cucumbers to make dill pickles.
How to Store
Store dill seed in a cool, dry, dark place and use within six months for best flavor.
· Drinking dill tea is recommended for those suffering from insomnia.
· Dill weed contains the carminative agent and aids with digestion by relieving intestinal gas.
· Dill is said to promote lactation in nursing mothers and has been historically used as a weak tea given to babies to ease colic, encourage sleep, and get rid of hiccups
· Dill Weed and Health Teas made with dill seed relieve indigestion and nausea, and produce a lulling effect.
· Gripe water is made with dill seed specifically as a remedy for colic in infants.
· Since dill seeds were traditionally used to soothe the stomach after meals, place some seeds in a small dish and place it on the dinner table for all to enjoy.
· The seeds contain so much calcium that 1 tablespoon contains 100 milligrams -- more than in 1/3 cup of milk.
· Dill seed is a very good source of calcium, dietary fiber, as well as the minerals manganese, iron, and magnesium.
· When chewed, dill seeds can be highly effective in curing bad breath.