Layered Bread Kofta Biryani
by Tarla Dalal
4/5 stars 83% LIKED IT
5 GOOD - 1 BAD
Added to 228 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 39731 times
The koftas seem simple, featuring just bread and onions with a few binding and flavouring agents. However, you will be amazed to see that the crunch and flavour of this kofta is the highlight of the Layered Bread Kofta Biryani. Here, rice is topped with a tangy gravy of curds, tomatoes and green peas perked up with whole spices, and dotted with these scrumptious koftas. Finally, this mouth-watering arrangement is topped with a curd dressing and quickly baked in the microwave oven, which saves a lot of time compared to the regular baking method, but must be served immediately.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients with 2 tsp of water in a deep bowl and mix till the mixture binds well.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and shape each portion into a round ball.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry, a few koftas at a time on a medium flame till they turn brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Soak the rice in enough water in a deep bowl for 15 minutes. Drain well and keep aside.
- Boil 2 cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, add the bayleaf, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, rice and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till the rice is well cooked and all the moisture has evaporated, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the cinnamon and cloves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till the tomatoes turn soft and the oil separates, while stirring occasionally.
- Lower the flame, add the curds, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the green peas, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- Put the rice in a greased microwave-safe bowl and spread it evenly.
- Pour the prepared gravy over it and spread it evenly.
- Arrange the koftas over the gravy at regular intervals and press them lightly.
- Finally top it with the prepared curd dressing evenly over it.
- Cover it with a microwave-safe lid and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.