Zunka by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 2352 times
Traditional Maharashtrian and spicy, the Zunka is considered by many as a dry version of the famous pitla. It is like a curry of ginger, green chillies, garlic, onions and coriander perked up with a very flavourful tempering.
Recipe Description for Zunka
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the cumin seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the ginger, green chillies, garlic and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, besan and salt, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add 1½ cups of hot water and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander, mix well and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, asafoetida and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the curry leaves and red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the tempering to the zunka and mix well.
- Serve immediately with chawal bhakri.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.