5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 132 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 23977 times
This is a special dessert from Florence. The shape of the dessert is said to resemble the dome of Florence's famous church, the Duomo.
Rum soaked sponge cake strips lined a glass bowl, sandwiched with an awfully rich chocolate cream and filled a lemon and fruit flavoured ice-cream. Deep frozen and cut into wedges and served just by itself!
You can use brandy or any liqueur instead of rum if you prefer. You can prepare the zuccoto a day in advance and keep it frozen until you are ready to serve. A great way to finish a splendid Italian dinner!
You can also try other Italian desserts like the Chocolate Ricotta Torte or Cassata, Sponge Cake Layered with Vanilla and Coffee Ice Cream .
- Heat the cream in a pan.
- Remove from the fire, add the chocolate and mix well to get a smooth sauce.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and soda bi-carb together.
- Mix the flour mixture, condensed milk, melted butter, vanilla essence and 75 ml. Of water and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and dusted 150 mm. (6") diameter tin.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c for 10 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 150°c (300°f) and a bake for a further 15 minutes.
- The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch. When ready, remove from the oven and leave for 1 minute. Invert the tin over a rack and tap sharply to remove.
- Cool the cake and cut into strips of 25 mm. X 125 mm. (1" x 5").
- Spread a spoonful of the chocolate sauce on the sponge cake strip. Sandwich with another cake strip. Repeat for the remaining cake strips and chocolate sauce.
- Line a deep glass bowl with these sponge strips in such a way that is covers the entire bowl leaving a cavity in the centre.
- Keep aside 2 to 3 strips to cover the top.
- Soak the lined sponge with the soaking syrup generously and fill the cavity with the filling mixture.
- Cover with the remaining sponge slices and soak them with the syrup.
- Cover with cling film and freeze for 2 to 3 hours.
- Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.