Yam and Spinach Pulusu
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 42 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 25690 times
Pulusu is a popular preparation style in Andhra cooking, and basically features greens, vegetables or other ingredients in a tamarind-based gravy. A remarkable flavour derived from minimal ingredients and a simple procedure makes the Yam and Spinach Pulusu a great hit with everybody. The pulusu gets a flavourful boost from a simple masala powder of mustard seeds and red chillies, which also contains a bit of rice to thicken the gravy quickly.
- Combine the yam, 1½ cups of water, salt and turmeric powder in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach, tamarind pulp, prepared powder and a little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and fenugreek leaves
- When the seeds crackle, add the kashmiri chilli and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Switch off the flame, add the tempering and the roasted sesame seeds powder to the yam and spinach mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.