Whole Wheat Roti Chivda
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 13 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 27580 times
Whole Wheat Roti Chivda is a light and tasty snack, which can be made with fresh or leftover rotis.
The rotis are shredded and sautéed with a tempering of cumin seeds and other tasty ingredients like onions, green chillies and garlic.
A dash of lemon juice and a garnish of finely chopped coriander leaves imparts a fresh flavour to the chivda making it a delight to munch on.
Relish this immediately after preparation, with a cup of hot chaai. You can use rotis to make other tasty recipes like Chapati Masala Noodles and Dahiwali Roti .
- Combine the whole wheat flour and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water. Keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 175 mm. (7”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) on a high flame and when hot, place the roti gently over it.
- Cook it till small blisters appear on the surface. Turn over the roti and cook for few more seconds.
- Cook it on an open flame till it puffs up and brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Cool completely and tear into small pieces. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic paste, lemon juice, turmeric powder and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the roti pieces, coriander and powdered sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.