Vegetables in Tomato Gravy
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 64 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 47847 times
The highlight of this recipe, as the name suggests, is the abundant use of tomatoes. Moreover, a varied bunch of veggies are used – ranging from ladies finger and drumsticks to french beans and potatoes. You can try other combinations depending on what vegetables you have in stock. The gram flour plays an interesting role in perfecting the consistency and balancing the sourness.
- Combine the tomatoes and 2 cups of water in a deep kadhai and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till the tomatoes are soft.
- Remove from the flame and allow them to cool slightly.
- Once slightly cooled, blend the tomatoes in a mixer to a smooth pulp. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 cups of water in a deep kadhai, add the french beans, cluster beans and drumsticks, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes. Don’t drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and besan and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the curry leaves, tomato pulp and all the boiled vegetables (including the water), mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt, ginger-green chili paste and ladies finger, mix well cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar and garam masala, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- Serve hot with rice or parathas.
Vegetables in Tomato Gravy Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.